Tigers Use Second Half Comeback to Defeat Parsons

Tigers Use Second Half Comeback to Defeat Parsons

MARION, Al. – The Marion Military Institute men's basketball team used a strong second half to erase a six-point halftime deficit in route to a 71-60 victory over visiting Snead State Community College Tuesday evening. This improves Marion to 8-3 overall and 1-0 in the Alabama Community College Conference (ACCC) North League.
Antony Edwards led the Tigers with 21 points in the contest. Mikel Davis followed with 17 points and Carlos Bell added 15 points for MMI, all in the second half.
Marion returns to action on Saturday, January 13th when they travel to Bevill State Community College in another ACCC North match-up. Tip-off is set for 3:30 p.m.
Game Flow
The Tigers and Parsons came out trading baskets to start the contest and the Tigers found themselves down 6-11 four minutes into the game. Marion came back and tied the score 11 points apiece two minutes later.  The home squad took their only first half lead at the 14:03 mark, 13-11.  A three-point shot by Snead quickly gave the visitors the lead back.   The Parsons grew the lead to ten, 16-26, after a three-point play. Marion slowly cut into the lead when freshman Josue Passius scored two of his six points, making the score 23-26.  Snead connected on another three-point field goal to once again extend their lead.  Sophomore Mikel Davis hit a two-point basket on their last possession of the first half to give Marion some momentum into the break, trailing 28-34.
Back to back turnovers by the Tigers to start the second half allowed Snead to get the lead back to double digits (28-38).  Antony Edwards and Carlos Bell scored on consecutive plays to keep the Tigers within reach.  A Nathan Boyd steal and score cut the lead back to four points but another two-pointer by Snead kept MMI from getting closer.   Mikel Davis scored two points and a steal by Boyd caused the Parsons to foul him on a shot attempt.  He connected on one of two from the charity stripe.  Tigers trailed 39-40 with 13:41 to play in the contest.

The Parsons would not go quietly as they drilled a three-pointer to get their lead back to four (39-43).  Carlos Bell followed with two points of his own.  He was fouled on Marion's next possesion and connected on both free throws to tie the game, 43-43, with a little over 12 minutes to play.  Bell followed with another steal on the next Parson possession and again drained two free throws to give Marion their first lead of the second half (45-43).

An Antony Edwards' steal and score extended the lead to four points but the Parsons responded with two points on their end of the floor.  With under 10 minutes in regulation Joshua Jones connected for two points; Bell hit a two-pointer, and MMI extended the lead once again to six (55-49).

MMI maintained the lead and with a turnover by Snead with under five minutes in the contest Joshua Jones found fellow freshman Willie Dunbar III for a dunk that got the crowd going.  Edwards followed with two more points and a block by Dunbar on the defensive end allowed Marion to control their own fate.  With the shot clock winding down (2:40) Bell hit a three-point shot to put the Tigers up 11, 67-56. 

Snead was forced to foul with the Tigers trying to use up as much clock as possible.  Davis hit both of his free throw attempts at the 1:04 mark to give Marion a 71-60 lead.  

By the Numbers
Antony Edwards (21 points), Mikel Davis (17 points), Carlos Bell (15 points), Josue Passius (6 points), Willie Dunbar III (5 points), Joshua Jones (3 points), Nathan Boyd (3 points), Connor Zinaich (1 point)



View: Mobile | Desktop